Stains on your teeth are more than just a cosmetic problem. If your teeth are discolored, the yellowing can have a profound impact on your self-esteem. You may be hesitant to smile in front of other people or even to talk much in public, and this can hold you back from meeting new people or being confident in situations like job interviews. Bleaching done in a dentist's office can help to remove this unsightly staining, so that you can have a whiter smile that you're anxious to show off to the world.
When you drink certain beverages like tea or coffee, take some types of medications or smoke cigarettes, residues collect on your dental enamel. Initially, stains develop on the outer surface of the enamel, but over time, the staining can penetrate the surface and become deeply engrained in your teeth. Staining develops over years, gradually worsening without treatment.
How Bleaching Works
Bleaching is a process that uses chemicals to remove staining. A dentist will apply a solution that contains peroxide, such as hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. The peroxide causes a chemical reaction, which actually lifts away the materials that make up the stain. This results in much whiter teeth, often with just one treatment.
Benefits of In-Office Bleaching for Teeth Whitening
There are many options for teeth whitening available to address, staining, but none of them are as effective or as safe as in-office bleaching. Some of the advantages of undergoing a bleaching treatment at a dentist include:
- In-office treatments involve stronger solutions that can remove both surface and deeper stains that at-home whitening products cannot reach.
- With in-office bleaching, there is no use of abrasive materials to scrape away staining. Abrasives found in some whitening toothpastes can actually scratch and damage the dental enamel.
- Professional bleaching solutions pose less risk of sensitivity of the teeth than at-home products.
- An in-office treatment decreases likelihood of gum irritation that can accompany the use of at-home whitening systems.
- Results from professional bleaching are much faster than at-home toothpastes and rinses that can take months to make a noticeable difference in the appearance of the teeth.
Davis Dental specializes in professional bleaching treatments and can help you reveal a whiter smile. Contact us to schedule a consultation.